When I was a an I.T. Engineer, one of my clients had the family name of Murphy. Whenever something went wrong, she would comment that her uncle had a lot to answer for. She was of course referring to Murphy’s Law. She knew several hundred of variations of the law and she could apply a specific variation for practically any circumstance:
- The faster you need a hard-copy, the more people will be using the only office printer.
- no matter how idiot proof you make a program, the boss will employ a bigger idiot.
- Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.
So if your code is as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you’re not smart enough to debug it.
- The odds of toast landing butter side down is directly proportional to the cost of the carpet.
- Parts that are difficult to install will freely fall out on their own.
Why mention Murphy’s law? The weather has been unseasonably hot and stable for more than a month, but after yesterday’s Too Hot!
rant post, the weather has changed. Strong blustery winds and 15°C (59°F) temperature, and it rained heavily overnight. Murphy most definitely has a lot to answer for!